Friday, May 9, 2008

Catching up...

I guess I'll fill you in on the last couple months. I've been very lucky to not have any morning sickness. For a lot of people that is the first sign that they are pregnant, but I didn't have any, neither did my sister, Nina (Rifkah) who just had a baby on April 11. for me, early on, the symptoms weren't too bad. I was exhausted all the time, especially since right after finding out I was pregnant I started a full time internship working at a hospital from 8-4, on my feet and running around all day. It was tough adjusting to everything that was happening in my body and dealing with being in this new work situation. I'd get home everyday and take a nap. Also from the beginning, I needed to eat more frequently. I didn't need to eat a lot, but I had to have lots of snacks throughout the day to keep me going. My breasts got very sore and swollen, like they weren't already big enough! For a while it really was painful. If I rolled over in the middle of the night, it would wake me up because it hurt so much. Pretty quickly, my belly expanded. Not that I was showing, but I was just bloated or something and I couldn't close my pants anymore! When I was about 6 or 7 weeks I bought some maternity pants because I was just too uncomfortable in my regular pants. It's only now that I'm starting to actually show a little bit. Not that anyone on the street would stop and ask when I'm due, people just might think I'm eating a little too much ice cream, but if you know I'm pregnant and you're looking for it, you can see that I now have a little belly. I'll take a picture soon and post it so you can see.

Overall these first few months have been pretty good. I'm absolutely thrilled to be pregnant. I can't wait to have a baby and be a mom. Yes, I've been raising Reilly for a while now, but I missed the first couple years of his life, so I'm really looking forward to being there for the whole thing, from the very beginning. There is something magical about this whole process. They don't call it the Miracle of Life for nothing! When you think about it and realize that you are able to create another life it's just overwhelming. To know that there is a new life forming and growing inside you and that you are the one nurturing it and caring for it for 9 months before it's even born is amazing. A couple weeks ago we went to the doctor, well actually, the midwife, and we got to hear the heartbeat. Up until that point it was still sort of surreal. I know the test said I'm pregnant and I have all the symptoms and I haven't gotten my period but there still wasn't really any proof that this is all happening. Then we're in the exam room and she puts this sensor on my belly. First it tunes in to my heart beat (average adult heart rate is about 70 beats per minute) she shifted the sensor and then we heard a much faster beat (average baby heart rate is about 140-160 beats per minute!) It was amazing to hear the contrast between mine and the baby's and to get confirmation that there really is something happening in there! Next appointment is in a couple weeks and we'll get to hear the heart beat again. It's not till the appointment after that when we'll get to do a sonogram and hopefully find out the sex of the baby. It feels like a long time to wait.

No comments: