So here's the baby development update for this week:
Week 24: This is another big week for your magical growing baby! Just take a look at the checklist for this week: 1) ears: done; 2) fingernails: done; 3) (if you have a boy) testicles: taking their 3-4 day trip from the abdominal wall to the scrotum; and 4) lungs walls: secreting “surfactant”. What’s that? Well, surfactant is sort of what it sounds like: a surface-activated fat whose main purpose is to assist the your baby's little lungs during inflation (as in, filling with air, not getting more expensive). Just in case you’re curious, your submerged baby is still breathing in amniotic fluid, preparing and rehearsing the lungs for an oxygen-filled life outside the womb. By the end of this week, your child will be weighing around 2 lbs and 14 inches long. Your cutie-patootie may even be a little more plump, but isn't anywhere near their full baby-fatted cute-self. Most of the “filling out” is coming up in that long awaited (and slightly dreaded?) third trimester. Woo-hoo! Get ready!
and how am I doing? Well, acid reflux is kicking my butt. It's getting really bad and it's so uncomfortable. It basically feels like this burning in my chest and the back of my throat and it kind of gives you the feeling like you just threw up. It's yucky. Certain foods seem to trigger it, although I don't know which ones and for me, my position affects it. When I lay down flat it makes me feel awful. So I sleep in a semi-sitting position and start out doing okay. Then during the night I slide down or roll to my side and wake up coughing and choking and I can't breathe. Not too much fun. The other thing waking me in the middle of the night are leg cramps. They are awful too!! My calf muscle tightens and makes my whole body tense up until it goes away, then the muscle stays sore for the whole next day. And on top of everything else, Kermit likes to kick the most when I'm lying still so bedtime and all through the night is a great time for him to practice his dance moves. So as you may have figured out, I'm not getting enough sleep these days :) They say it's preparation for when the baby comes, so I'm used to waking up every few hours and surviving on very little sleep, but right now it's not too much fun, but I'm getting through it. Even when I get annoyed that the baby is kicking and keeping me awake, I still get filled with amazement that this baby is inside me and growing and learning so much. The other day the door slammed and the baby jumped and my whole belly shook. It was pretty cool.
This weekend was Tim's sister, Rebecca's wedding and there was a rehearsal dinner on Friday night, wedding was Saturday afternoon, with an after party that went pretty late, then a brunch on Sunday. We had another of Tim's sisters staying with us, with her husband and two kids, so we had a full house and lots of excitement going on. the really cool thing is that we had enough space in our new house to be able to accommodate everyone comfortably!! The wedding was fun, but it was an exhausting weekend and I'm one tired mama. I'm off to bed now...
Week 24: This is another big week for your magical growing baby! Just take a look at the checklist for this week: 1) ears: done; 2) fingernails: done; 3) (if you have a boy) testicles: taking their 3-4 day trip from the abdominal wall to the scrotum; and 4) lungs walls: secreting “surfactant”. What’s that? Well, surfactant is sort of what it sounds like: a surface-activated fat whose main purpose is to assist the your baby's little lungs during inflation (as in, filling with air, not getting more expensive). Just in case you’re curious, your submerged baby is still breathing in amniotic fluid, preparing and rehearsing the lungs for an oxygen-filled life outside the womb. By the end of this week, your child will be weighing around 2 lbs and 14 inches long. Your cutie-patootie may even be a little more plump, but isn't anywhere near their full baby-fatted cute-self. Most of the “filling out” is coming up in that long awaited (and slightly dreaded?) third trimester. Woo-hoo! Get ready!
and how am I doing? Well, acid reflux is kicking my butt. It's getting really bad and it's so uncomfortable. It basically feels like this burning in my chest and the back of my throat and it kind of gives you the feeling like you just threw up. It's yucky. Certain foods seem to trigger it, although I don't know which ones and for me, my position affects it. When I lay down flat it makes me feel awful. So I sleep in a semi-sitting position and start out doing okay. Then during the night I slide down or roll to my side and wake up coughing and choking and I can't breathe. Not too much fun. The other thing waking me in the middle of the night are leg cramps. They are awful too!! My calf muscle tightens and makes my whole body tense up until it goes away, then the muscle stays sore for the whole next day. And on top of everything else, Kermit likes to kick the most when I'm lying still so bedtime and all through the night is a great time for him to practice his dance moves. So as you may have figured out, I'm not getting enough sleep these days :) They say it's preparation for when the baby comes, so I'm used to waking up every few hours and surviving on very little sleep, but right now it's not too much fun, but I'm getting through it. Even when I get annoyed that the baby is kicking and keeping me awake, I still get filled with amazement that this baby is inside me and growing and learning so much. The other day the door slammed and the baby jumped and my whole belly shook. It was pretty cool.
This weekend was Tim's sister, Rebecca's wedding and there was a rehearsal dinner on Friday night, wedding was Saturday afternoon, with an after party that went pretty late, then a brunch on Sunday. We had another of Tim's sisters staying with us, with her husband and two kids, so we had a full house and lots of excitement going on. the really cool thing is that we had enough space in our new house to be able to accommodate everyone comfortably!! The wedding was fun, but it was an exhausting weekend and I'm one tired mama. I'm off to bed now...
But first a picture from Rebecca's wedding, these are all of Tim's siblings and their significant others:

L to R: Ian, Hannah, Tim, me, Susannah (aka Wynk), Fred the groom, Rebecca the bride, Betsy, Vinny, Cate, Sport, Brigid, Jim
3 comments:
So much happening! Congrats on the house, if you get a chance to put some pictures up, I'd love to see them. When my sister had her last baby, she had really awful acid reflux as well - she actually set up their bed so that the top part was raised up a few inches, so the whole bed sloped down a bit. I think they put wood blocks under the legs, if I remember correctly. That helped her a little. In any case, I can't believe you're 2/3 there!!
I feel your pain, my friend! Now, I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but I do want to pass on the info that I know. Potassium is a great way to help leg cramps - bananas, cantaloupe, and sweet potatoes. And for heart burn I used (and still do) some chalky tabs made with papaya extract from my local health food store - they weren't great, but paired with a heavy over-the-counter antacid, it made a difference. Love you much...
Yeah, as of now, I'd say these symptoms are the worst part of pregnancy. Sleeping sitting up is not the most comfortable way to sleep and the leg cramps are driving me nuts. Lifting the top of the bed up is an interesting idea. Buff- you're such a know-it-all!! but I love you for it. I've been eating a lot of cantaloupe, but I'll add in more bananas and sweet potatoes if it'll help. I've heard that the papaya extract is good, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to go find a health food store around here... Thanks for the advice, guys!! I can't believe I'm 2/3 there either!!
Post a Comment