Sunday, May 24, 2009

it's been 2 weeks...

I was aiming to write once a week or even every 2 weeks, so I'm trying to stick to it and spend at least a little more time on here. I do enjoy being able to look back and read what I was thinking and feeling and I like being able to share with you, whoever you may be out there ;) I write little comments and updates on facebook but they are so transient. I went out and saw some friends from physical therapy school last night and they were commenting on how they used to check my blog every day for the updates and it just reminded me to try to focus a little more. It was great to see them though. They were with me for some very big moments in my life. While we were in school together I got engaged, married and pregnant!! It was a busy couple of years!! They all live pretty far away so it's really not convenient to get together with them but I really enjoy their company and we have a great time together. Not to mention that many of them have young kids so they know where I am in my life and can relate to what's happening.

We've been having some fun getting to know our next door neighbors. They have 3 kids, ages 9, 8 and 6 (Reilly at age 7 fits in quite nicely). And the mother's sister also lives in the house and she just had a baby boy on December 5 (one month after Jasper was born). Now that the weather is nice and we're spending more time outside, we're actually starting to get to know them. We were outside with Reilly yesterday and he was trying out his new rollerskates for the first time out of the house and the neighbors came home and saw him. They ran inside and put on their skates and came back out to skate with him!! It was so cute. Reilly and the kids are getting along well and they spent the whole afternoon running back and forth from their yard to ours and they even came over to play in our playroom (aka the basement) for a bit. Tim and I had all kinds of plans and lists of things to get done yesterday but instead sat out on the neighbors lawn with Jasper and their baby, Colin, comparing notes and milestones. It was great.

Jasper is so close to crawling!! He gets up on to his hands and knees and rocks back and forth and side to side. He reaches one hand out and pulls it back. He slides one knee forward and back. he pushes off his feet and catapults himself forwards onto his face! then rolls back and forth. it's a whole routine he's got going and much of it includes yoga poses, that I'm sure he instinctively got from me. It's so cool to watch him figuring out how his body works and what he can accomplish.

Speaking of yoga, I'm definitely missing it. There are all kinds of excuses that I'm trying not to use. "I don't have time, I'm too tired, etc" I could find the time, I could find the energy but I'm just not doing it. When I do have free time and it's quiet and Jasper's sleeping, I choose to take a nap instead of doing yoga. If I can't make myself sit down at the computer and type for 10 minutes once a week, what makes me think I can spend an hour or even 30 minutes doing yoga? Lately I've been getting in a little meditation practice, which is better than nothing. When pumping breastmilk, they say you should be calm and relaxed and picturing your baby while you pump. So at work, I take a little break and go sit in a quiet room, I close my eyes and do some deep breathing and I try to let everything else melt away. I clear my mind and just picture Jasper and his huge smile and sparkling eyes and I hear him giggling and squeeling. It's amazing how doing that for 10 minutes can completely refresh me and make me feel so peaceful and happy. It also yields more milk to store for later which is good. He is eating more solid foods but we still just leave a bottle with the babysitter in the mornings and then we feed him solids in the evenings and I nurse him all the rest of the time.

I guess that's enough of an update for now. I'm sure there's more to write but that's all the time I've got right now. I have a ton of pictures to go through and then I'll post some. I've got great ones from Mother's day, which was a while ago, now. Hopefully, I'll be back soon!!

No comments: